“Man seeks to change the foods available in nature to suit his tastes, thereby putting an end to the very essence of life contained in them.” Sai Baba
No one can ever recover from an eating disorder without adequate nutrition. You have to restore your health through nutrition and this will empower you to defeat the demon of Eating Disorder.
Help your body repair itself and restore normal function
by incorporating these super foods from the Qur’an in your Diet.
Barley and Mushrooms are mentioned in Islam as super foods for their positive properties in helping to fight diseases and maintaining a healthy immune system. In Pakistan, my first attempt at recovery was through the foods that were mentioned in Quran. In Islam we often use Quranic science to heal our illnesses.
This stew made a big difference in my recovery. I could not eat much, except few dates and a cup of chai (Pakistani tea 75%milk , 25% water with cardamoms and loose tea). This stew did aid in breaking the cycle of semi starvation and kept my hunger levels intact. Basically it kept me going:)
Please do bear in mind that eating disorders are not just about food. Food is used as a mechanism to deal with more complex problems. It is absolutely vital that you identify and address the underlying root cause if you ever expect to truly get better.
Healing With Super Foods
Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w.) once said “If my people knew what there is in Fenugreek, the would have bought and paid it weight in gold.”
Use Fenugreek: In re-feeding, one often suffers from constipation and indigestion, Use this super herb to aid in your digestion- Fenugreek helps flush out harmful toxins. It relieves indigestion and helps treat constipation.
Golden Tip: A solution for Hair Problems- Using fenugreek as a part of your diet or as a paste to directly apply on your hair makes your hair lustrous and shiny. Massaging your head everyday with boiled fenugreek seeds soaked overnight in coconut oil can be an excellent remedy for thinning of hair and hair fall.
Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w.s) said, “ Make yours the seed of coriander, for it is a cure of all diseases except swelling [cancer], and that is a fatal disease.”
The Prophet ( SAW) said that mushroom is a good cure for the eyes, it also serves as a form of birth control and arrests paralysis.
Olive Oil: Olive (Zaitoon)
Zaitoon is cure for 70 diseases. Among them, olive oil is most commonly used in the treatment of skin diseases. Alqama Bin Amir narrates that Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) said: “There is olive oil for you, eat it, massage it over your body, since it is effective in Haemorrhoids (Piles).” (Ibn Al-Jawzi, Zanbi)
Prophet Muhammed (pbuh) recommended barley soup for the sick and grieving. He is quoted as saying, “At-talbina gives rest to the heart of the patient and makes it active and relieves some of his sorrow and grief” (Bukhari 7:71#593).
Mushroom Barley and Lamb Stew
- 3 cups sliced Mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped White Onion
- ½ cup chopped leeks
- ¼ cup chopped spring onions
- 4 tablespoons Olive oil
- 1/2 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 6 cups lamb broth
- 2 cups skimmed milk
- 150grams diced lamb
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup Barley rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons chopped Fresh Fenugreek
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoon fresh coriander
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 TBSP lemon juice
- Heat 1-tablespoon oil in a deep pan and add garlic (if you haven’t got fresh fenugreek, then add 1 TBSP fenugreek seeds to oil as well). Cook for 1-2minutes and add diced lamb. Fry for 4-5 minutes and add mushrooms. Sautee mushrooms, onions, leeks over low heat, until it’s all tender.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat 2 TBSP olive oil and stir in flour. Cook flour in oil for 3-5 minutes until flour browns.
- Gradually stir in water, milk, chilli flakes, lamb broth, barley, chopped fresh fenugreek and bay leaves.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and add cooked mushrooms, onions and lamb.
- Reduce heat to low. Cover the pan. Simmer 45 minutes, stirring occasionally till barley is all fluffy and cooked.
- Add additional water if soup becomes too thick upon standing.
- Garnish with spring onions, coriander and sprinkle on some lemon juice.