“Part of compliance is defiance, but you must arrive at acceptance of the disease.”
From recovery to relapse, indeed road to defeating Eating Disorder is a long one with twists and turns. I love what Arielle Becker said: Relapse can show you where your recovery is weak. For some people, it’s PMS. For others, it’s work stress. Or kids. Or breakfast. Or whatever. These things can be easy to overlook or shrug off. But a relapse can give you a chance to address these, head-on.
“Don’t be afraid to fail. Don’t waste energy trying to cover up failure. Learn from your failures and go on to the next challenge. It’s OK to fail. If you’re not failing, you’re not growing.”
H. Stanley Judd
Ahmed Hulusi said “If you had managed to increase the capacity of your brain, then you have also managed to increase your spiritual power.” To me this is, if we reduce the power ED has had on us then we can manage to increase the capacity of our brain and defeat this order
Relapse Recovery Menu
One advice I was given was to practice the rules of healthy eating – taking each moment at a time and putting into practice as many rules as possible
This plan worked for me, because it worked around the British food pyramid (you cannot recover without following all five of them:(
My meal had to contain the following:
4oz of lean protein
5.5 servings of grains (1 slice whole grain bread, 1/2 bagel, 1 cup whole grain cereal, 1/2 cup cooked rice, pasta, 1 oz dry rice, pasta.
5 servings of Veg: One serving is 2 cups raw vegetable, salad, 1/2 cup steamed veg, 6 oz veg juice)
5 servings of Fruits: 1 medium piece of fruit, 6 oz fruit juice, 1/2 cup raw fruit, 1/2 cup cooked fruit, 1/4 cup dried fruit
Lean Meats / Beans 1 ounce lean meat, fish, poultry, 1 egg, 1/4 cup cooked beans, 1 ounce tofu
At home, I experimented with various breakfasts, different measurements and wrote down my hunger levels. Fat free Brekkie was a strict no no…….. Zero cal brekkie was a no no as well.
They say eat breakfast like a king, eat lunch like a prince and eat dinner like a peasant. (OK! in recovery there is no eating dinner like a peasant or you’ll be binging like an ancient Greek in middle of the night).
One of the following: (all with 200 ml of juice, pineapple, pear or apple or whatever is in the season)
Pick One for each day:)
- 1 serving of Beans on toast
- 2 eggs (poached, scrambled or fried) on toast
- 40 grams Porridge with walnuts or flaxseeds, made with 200ml skimmed milk.
- 2 Weetabix with 200 ml skimmed milk and 1/2 chopped banana
- 2 slices of whole grain toasts with homemade walnut butter and honey
- French toast, whole grain 1 slice, (made with 1 medium egg, 1 tsp oil, 2 tbsp golden syrup). ½ cup cottage cheese, ½ cup orange juice.
- Pancakes 2 (4” across), (made with 2 TBSP maple syrup)½ cup low fat cottage cheese , 1 cantaloupe (med.)
- 1 medium egg poached, 2 whole grain toasts with flora spread, 2 slices of Turkey, 1 cup coca and ½ cup orange juice.
- Dry cereal 42grams (any whole grain or bran) skim milk 1 cup, 1 TBSP raisins, small banana ¾ cup orange juice
- Low Fat granola 2 oz, 1 TBSP raisins, Full fat Nutrasweet yogurt, 1 cup orange juice
- 1 whole-grain bagel, with Philadelphia light chocolate spread, ½ cup grapefruit and 1 cup cocoa
- Alaskan Salmon tortilla wrap with sweet potato crisps and fruit compote
- Golden apple oatmeal with couple of chopped dates, walnuts and pineapple juice.
- 1 bagel toasted with 1 TBSP peanut butter with 80grams of sliced apple and a cup of juice.
(I always end my breakfast with 1 tsp flax seed oil yuck , but so good for you and stops false hunger pangs and gives your eating disorderd mind a good kick)
11:00am Morning snack
85 grams seeded pomegranate with a cup of Greek yogurt
Glass of pear juice with handful of almonds
2 Biscuits with 200ml Milk
1 ounce almonds with a pineapple juice (you brain will be singing and your heart dancing)
1/2 bagel with 1/2 tbsp peanut butter and 1/2 tbsp honey or jam if your Americano with a pepper mint tea
Smoothies 240 grams of fruit and veg- (add 3 portions of fruit or 3 portions of veg or combo of both of them to complete some group portions from the food pyramid). In UK recommended portion per person of fruit and veg is 80grams, so 5 portions of mix fruit are 400 grams. If you don’t want to eat fruit for rest of the day and want immediate healthy buzzzz then just make a good luxurious smoothie…. Blisss . I always add Wheatgrass synergy and it gives me so much healthy energy that I dance away the night.
Examples of my smoothies
Luscious Skin Smoothie, 80g carrots, l celery stalk, 80g apple, 80g frozen berries (any), l cucumber, 1 serving of wheat grass synergy for so many extra nutrients and that zing to your body (optional only add if you’re not using any milk based products in your smoothie) Method:Wash, peel cucumber. Add all the ingredients into blender with either 1/2 cup soya milk, almond milk, 1/2 cup frozen yogurt with 1/4 cup ice and blend until smooth.
Stop Age Juice: 4 large or 8 small cabbage leaves, 6 carrots, ½ – 1–inch piece of ginger.
Skin cleanser: 5 stalks of celery, 1 cucumber, handful of mix spinach leaves (buy from Asda, its mixed) and 1 apple. Blend all
1:00pm Lunch—- hmmm
I don’t event want to discuss what I was having before the relapse:(
These are the meals I often had or tried to had during relapse recovery change. This time no no empty air eating.
120 gram smoked, steamed or grilled salmon with serving of rice and 160 grams of cooked veggies
1 pound grilled white fish fillet with roasted sweet potato chips and 80grams of steamed asparagus
2 oz whole grain chicken breast sandwich with 1 tbsp mayonnaise, 1tsp Flora, romaine salad and chopped tomato and pepper salad drizzled with balsamic vinegar.
Veggie pasta 170 grams
Tuna, avocado, beans salad
Tuna, red onion panini with hummus and salad
Egg Mayonaise and cress sandwich with salad garnish
Alaskan salmon sandwich: mix salmon with 1TBSP mayonnaise, black pepper, 2 tsp lemon, with chopped toasted walnuts. Add rocket leaves on to sliced bread, spread the filling and enjoy with a side salad garnish.
Whole wheat bread 2 slices, Kraft Free cheese 1 slice, 1 cup vegetable soup
whole grain bagel with 1 tbsp cream cheese, green onions chopped, served with salad, lettuce, tomato, carrot, radish, mixed crumbled feta cheese and salad dressing (optional)
Whole wheat bread , 3 oz tuna, whipped salad dressing ,lettuce, tomato with baked potato chips and a cranberry juice
Desserts: watermelon, Fig bar, fruit compote, fruit yogurt, peach, watermelon
Mid Afternoon Snack 3:30pm
this was a critical point of recovery and a meal plan or dinner would have been a quick, quick binge and panics and purging and disordered ranting all night long.
peanut butter sandwich
pistachios 1 ounce
unsweetened trail mix
Fig bar or a date bar
4 whole-grain crackers with 1 ounce cheddar
1 slice toasted cinnamon raisin bread with 1 tsp honey and 1/2 sliced banana
2 cups popcorn topped with 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese
- Chickpea burger in tahini sauce served in wholegrain open pitta bread. 1 scoop ice cream with ½ chopped banana and sprinkle of nuts on top.
- Chickpea curry (1 serving) with chappati and salad. Fruit compote, or fruit salad, or serving of rice pudding
- Egg omelette, made with 2 eggs whisked, 1 ounce of cheese, 1 ounce spinach, 1 ounce spring onions, 1 chilli, 2 TBSP milk served on toasted pitta bread and topped with half grilled tomato. Side salad- 1 cup of red onion, carrot mint salad. Frozen yogurt
- Pan seared chicken breast (100 grams) or 2 chicken thighs with 1/2 cup of quinoa or 1/2 cup rice and 1 cup of steamed vegetables. serve with minted raita- tapioca oatmeal cookie
- 2 ounce (56grams) pasta with 100 grams of broccoli floret and 150 grams of shrimp.
- 2 ounce thin noodles with, 80 grams peas, 80 grams sweet corns, 80 grams mangetout and 2 ounce chicken. Lime sherber.
- Whole grain bagel with cream cheese and mixed salad. Ice cream 1 scoop with any syrup or chopped nuts
- 2oz Lemon Chicken, ¾ cup with chick pea rice, ½ cup minted yogurt, fruit yogurt
- 3 0z baked fish , 1 cup stir-fried: zucchini, mushrooms, onions, etc 2 tsp oil, 3/4c rice with 1 cup fresh tomato, 1 small biscuit, 1 cup skim milk , low fat frozen fudge bar.
- 1-2 Pieces of Chicken or Beef, 4oz of Pasta or 1 cup of Brown Rice
Salad or 1 Green Vegetable
Night time snack 9:00pm
1 cup of almond milk
1 cup of skimmed milk with horlicks- This is the best. it doesn’t just doubles your calcium but is marvelous in winter days.
1 cup of live probiotic yogurt