Eating From The Kitchen Of Prophet Muhammad (saaw) Squashes and Pumpkins
No recovery from Eating Disorder is possible without food. Appetite is linked strongly to energy expenditure, i.e. metabolic rate. Your body has to work harder and will need more energy when you move around, lead active lifestyle or if you are in a cold climate. As soon as you cut down your food intake, your body will clamp down on its energy expenditure, leading to myriad of problems.
Road to recovery is that you do not try to count calories.
This winter eat from the kitchen of Prophet Muhammad (saaw) and defeat the demon of Eating Disorder through nourishing your mind, body and soul.
Amira Ayad in Healing Body and Soul states: The Pumpkin (or a similar vegetable) is also mentioned in the Qur’an, in the story of Prophet Yoonus (Jonah):
“And We caused a plant of gourd to grow over him” (Qur’an 37: 146)
According to Amira Ayad that Prophet Muhammad (saaw) thought to have loved squash; he was reported to have once asked his wife, ‘A’ishah: “O A’ishah! If you prepare a casserole, increase the squash in it, as it strengthens the grieving heart”. Jauziyah, 2001.
“Anas ibn Malik said: “The Prophet loved gourd. A tailor once invited the Prophet over some food he had made. Anas went with the Prophet and tailor brought him some bread made from barley and some soup with gourd and dried meat in it. Anas said, ‘I saw the Messenger of Allah follow the traces of the gourd all around the edge of the pot (with a piece of bread), which made me love gourd ever since”. Bukhari and Muslim
Pumpkin squash is a fruit that belongs to the gourd family. They are high in beta and alpha –carotenes, and vitamin E and C. They contain potassium and fibre.
In Eating Disorder, one often suffers from weak immune system. Squahes are excellent in boosting your immune system and in these dreary winter days will help your body fight off coughs and colds.
Whether you’re starting refeeding process, in midst of restoring eating cycle or in maintenance phase, this is an excellent non-threatening super food that will aid in your recovery from eating disorder.
Why Eat Pumpkins and Squashes?
Here are some of the reasons you should be eating pumpkins and squashes. They are a very good source of potassium, they replenish your electrolytes and can be eaten in breads, soups, stews, stir-fries, pies or all by itself.
The fruit contains some of the highest amounts of beta-carotene which the body converts into vitamin A. This vitamin has both antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects.
Folate (vitamin B9) in pumpkin can support your health in various ways. It helps to break down homocysteine and protects you against colon cancer.
The fruit has a powerful antioxidant capacity due to the high content of vitamin C. This helps to boost your immunity.
It has been shown that fiber can help fight certain cancers.
Winter Warmer Soup
Heal your Eating Disorder this Winter with this Fabulous Winter Warmer from Beirut, Lebanon. Don’t Forget that Lebanese Cuisine is ranked as one of the best cuisines in the world. Bon Appetitie!
Pumpkin soup (Shorbat Yakteen)
Pumpkin Soup For The Prophet (pbuh) Click Here
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh pumpkin, cut up in smallish dice
- 1 1/2 pounds potatoes, cut up in smallish dice
- 1 cup of chopped tomatoes or 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
- 1 large onion, chopped up
- 1/3 cup of clarified butter (when clarifying the butter, try to get it a bit golden-brown, it will taste nutty and delicious); can be replaced with olive oil.
- 2 quarts of meat or chicken or veggie stock
- 1 inch of fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon of fresh sage, chopped up fine
- a pinch of cinnamon, black pepper, salt to taste
- Garnish: some yogurt or some toasted pita croutons, some toasted pumpkin seeds.
- Place the diced pumpkin, potatoes and onion in a large soup pot with the clarified butter. Fry gently.
- When the vegetables are soft (about 20 minutes), add the tomatoes or tomato paste, seasoning and stock and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to a gentle simmer and let it simmer for a while longer, about 20 minutes.
- Let the soup cool, adjust seasoning, and puree in a blender.
- Garnish with a dollop of yoghurt and some toasted pita bread. Sahteyn!
Source:Taste of Beirut
Pumpkin Soup For The Prophet (pbuh) Click Here
Be Beautiful This Winter with This Gorgeous Smoothie
I have tried this and this is simply superb. Skin-regenerative pumpkin is a great addition to a fall smoothie and almond butter adds a dose of healthy fats. Spinach and blueberries add fiber, antioxidants and vitamins. This smoothie is so delicious and makes a great lunch; it keeps me full all afternoon.
Pumpkin Beauty Lunch Smoothie
- 1/2 cup pumpkin
- 1 tablespoon raw almond butter
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1/2 cup blueberries, frozen
- 1/2 banana, frozen
- 1 teaspoon honey
- cinnamon and nutmeg to taste
- water, as needed
Add all ingredients to a powerful blender and blend, adding water as needed.
Enjoy and it will surely add a beautiful zing to your skin.
For more Inspiration: