This is a complete nutritional packed breakfast. If you still hate breakfast then please read an article on bottom of the page by Nancy Schmieder.
To start my day and to enhance my complexion, I would start off with this smoothie, which would give me 1/2 serving of daily dairy, 2 servings of fruits (from 1 of 5 a day)
1 melon 276 g
1 mango 207g
Mint leaves 20g Calories 260
1/2 cup ice
1/2 cup almond, soya or skimmed milk
Put chopped mango, melon with 1/2 cup milk and ice in a blender. Puree it until smooth. Garnish with mint and have a sunny, tropical morning:)
Further Energize your Morning
I would then have a boiled Egg , with 1 serving of whole grain with coconut oil spread. and a cup of peppermint tea with 1 tsp honey about 250 calories.
In this breakfast I could mark off many things from the daily food pyramid.
1 serving of grain- whole grain bread
1 serving of protein- 1 boiled egg
1 tsp of coconut oil- very very healthy fat- new phenomenon in market
2 servings of fruit
1/2 serving of dairy.
The Importance of Breakfast
It often amazes me how people take better care of their cars than their bodies. I have yet to meet a person who said, “God has a plan as to when my car should ‘die’ and I do not need to worry about it. I don’t need to check or change the oil, or perform any routine maintenance. And I don’t need to worry about the type of gasoline I use.” We recognize the necessity of proper care to get the longest life and best performance out of our automobiles. When will we realize that proper care also gives our bodies the longest life and best performance?
ONE STEP AT A TIME: WHAT TO DO
THE IMPORTANCE OF BREAKFAST
APPLICATION: HOW TO DO IT
What’s your excuse for not eating breakfast?
• “No time?” How much time does it take to eat a bowl of cereal? Make toast and eat it on your way to work. Make your breakfast the night before. Making time for breakfast is making time to be healthy.
• “Not hungry?” To get started, don’t eat anything after an early supper. Finish supper by 6:30 p.m.
• “Might gain weight?” Eating breakfast will actually help you reach and maintain your healthy weight. Your appetite will be satisfied longer. You’ll be eating food when you can best burn the calories. You’ll feel great. Eat breakfast.
• You “don’t like breakfast foods?” You don’t have to eat traditional breakfast foods. You can eat leftovers, or a sandwich. Any healthy food is fine. Caffeine may mask hunger.
• You “don’t like eating breakfast?” It is in your best interest to eat breakfast. Take the step. Do the right thing. Eat breakfast.
Simple, easy ways to add Breakfast:
• Start Small. If your not a breakfast eater, begin with whole wheat toast and/or a piece of fruit. In a few days, add more food.
• Choose Fruit for Breakfast. Fruit gives you fiber. Fresh fruit is the best choice. There are many to choose from: oranges, grapefruits, apples, bananas, grapes, kiwis, mangos, melons, berries. Eat two servings of fruit every morning. Canned fruit packed in juice is also a good choice. Add dried fruit to your cereal.
• Eat High Fiber Hot Cereal. Hot cereal is the best choice, but there are several brands of cold cereal on the market that are high in fiber and low in sugar. Oatmeal is a favorite hot cereal. Try a seven grain cereal and experiment with different grains such as millet, brown rice, quinoa, corn grits for a variety. Try cooking grains in a crock pot overnight and it’s already the next morning. Or cook up a large batch and re-heat the next day. Make your own granola. Add a high fiber cereal to your favorite low fiber cereal. Gradually increase the amount of the high fiber cereal and decrease the amount of the low fiber cereal. For example, if you like cornflakes, add Wheat Chex to the cornflakes. Each morning add a little more Wheat Chex and a little less Cornflakes.
• Choose Whole Grain Bread. Eat two slices of toast in the morning or a whole grain bagel. Spread with fruit spread or applesauce or your favorite nut butter.
• Make Healthy Pancakes or Waffles. Have you ever considered topping your pancakes or waffles with fruit?
• Instead of scramble eggs try scrambled tofu. You’re in for a great surprise.
• The sky’s the limit. The only limitation is your imagination. Make it a priority. Eat breakfast.
High fiber, ready to eat cereals and whole grain breads.
–Choose a cereal with at least 3-5 grams of fiber per serving.
–Choose cereal that have 5 grams or less of sugar per serving.
Remember 4 grams of sugar=1 teaspoon.
–Choose bread with at least 2 grams of dietary fiber per slice.
YOUR CHALLENGE: YOU CAN DO IT!!
Try this simple experiment. Eat one or two servings of fresh fruit every morning for the next three weeks. Eat as many different kinds as you can find.
And remember, Health is by Choice…not by chance! The choice is yours. You don’t have to be a statistic. By adopting a better diet and wiser lifestyle habits, you can live longer, feel better, and enjoy a healthier, more productive life.
Nancy Schmieder works with the Better Living Ministries in Wayland , NY as a Certified Lifestyle Consultant and Specialist. The Better Living Ministries is a Community Resource for Lifestyle Education and Support. Health by Choice is a practical, simple journey on how to incorporate healthy habits into your lifestyle. Nancy is a Mother of five and she lives with her family in Springwater , NY . Her e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org